Alfred from Nelson, trading as junkstyle, will have the honour of selling Trade Me’s one billionth listing, due any time now, after paying $755 for the privilege in a $1 No Reserve auction run by Trade Me.
Trade Me itself has pre-promoted the impending milestone in a trivia-packed post on its website (see http://www.trademe.co.nz/about-trade-me/one-billion-listings-a-trade-me-retrospective/). We’d encourage you to go there for the details, but here are some facts and figures that you may not know about New Zealand’s most popular auction operator:
- Tana Umaga handbag and cellphone (2006, 1m+ views)
- HP Possessed Printer (2013, 800k views)
- Scary Washing Machine (2009, 800k views)
Most-asked questions (popular listings)
- Buy a tractor and get a 20 acre farm for free (2009, 2224 questions)
- Scary washing machine (2009, 2101 questions) Two captured ghosts (2010, 1707 questions)
- First official live listing: Sam Morgan’s 21″ AKAI-brand TV. Bidding started at $200.
- First on Trade Me Motors: Subaru Impreza Sedan 1992 (2003)
- First residential property on Trade Me Property: A house worth $250k in Mission Bay (2005)
First job on Trade Me Jobs:
- Earthmoving mechanic in East Tamaki (2006)
One billion listings, and Trade Me is still just a teenager (sweet sixteen, since March 1999). What will it be when it grows up?
- The Trade Me Revolution Tour Hits Town The Trade Me exec team were in Auckland today with...
- New Edition, New Blog Two years on from the first edition of TRADE ME...
- How To Create Eye-Catching Listings Want to sell on Trade Me? There’s a bit of...
- Trade Me: the little website that still can Half-yearly results for the six-months to 31 December 2008 for...
- A Trip Down Memory Lane All this talk of a new-look Trade Me prompted us...