If you want to get serious about selling on Trade Me, take note of these seven key facts about Kiwis buying stuff online.
1. More of us are now shopping online. In April this year the Nielsen Company was reporting (in its 2010 Online Retail Report) that 45 percent of New Zealanders (and 57% of regular Internet users) are online shoppers.
The implication for Trade Me sellers: your market is bigger than ever — but it also includes a segment of potential purchasers who are new to all this, and consequently still nervous about shopping online. So you still need to be on your best behaviour as a seller and offer reassurance to those who are newbies.
2. We’re shopping online more often. 35% of New Zealanders who shop online made six or more purchases on the Internet in the past 12 months, an increase of 12.7 percent on the previous year.
That’s good news for Trade Me sellers. Those who are already buying online are now buying more often — great for those who offer products that can be repurchased on a regular basis.
3. Here are the Top Ten types of products purchased online, according to that Nielsen 2010 Online Retail Report:
You may not be able to sell Airline Tickets (for security reasons, most air tickets cannot be resold) but all the rest of the categories are fair game.
4. These six little words, added to your listing, can double the number of prospective bidders for your auction: “add this item to your watchlist”.
5. Auctions that have a $1 start and reserve price attract 20 times more bids than other auctions.
6. The five Trade Me categories that showed the most growth over the past twelve months were:
- Mobile Phones
- Business, Farming & Industry
- Health & Beauty
- Antiques & Collectables
7. The consumer’s ability to pay (or willingness to do so) still plays a role in determining the success or failure of our auctions. Our latest consumer research study (September 2010) tells us that Kiwis are still watching their pennies.
Kiwi consumers aged 25-54 have cut back on:
PS Apart from these seven sets of facts, there are a few other things you need to know if you want to sell successfully on Trade Me. For further homework, may we encourage you to check out our Trade Me Success Secrets book or (if you’ve already mastered that) our online course on Advanced Selling on Trade Me.