According to Anirvan Chatterjee, founder of book search engine BookFinder.com, “From 98 to 99 percent of all books ever published are now out-of-print, so they don’t show up in traditional bestseller lists. Without big marketing budgets behind them, these books have been getting buzz the old-fashioned way: reader word of mouth.”
BookFinder.com to the rescue, with its annual list (now in its fifth year) of the top ten most sought after (but out-of-print) bestsellers of 2007:
10. Dear and Glorious Physician (1959) by Taylor Caldwell; novel based on the life of Saint Luke.
9. One Way Up (1964) by John F. Straubel; history of helicopters and vertically rising aircraft.
8. Aran Knitting (1997) by Alice Starmore; history and how-to about the Irish technique.
7. Raven: The Untold Story of the Reverend Jim Jones and his People (1982) by Tim Reiterman; chronicles the inner workings which allowed the Peoples Temple to flourish.
6. The Principles of Knitting (1988) by June Hemmons Hiatt; ultimate indispensable hand knitting resource.
5. The Lion’s Paw (1946) by Robb White; enduring children’s adventure story.
4. Promise Me Tomorrow (1984) by Nora Roberts; early novel that the bestselling romance novelist refuses to reprint.
3. Sex (1992) by Madonna; the pop icon’s book of erotic photos, a perennial favorite.
2. Football Scouting Methods (1962) by Steve Belichick; legendary college football scout’s playbook, used by coaches and players.
1. Once a Runner (1978) by John L. Parker, Jr.; cult classic distance running novel (long-awaited sequel, Again to Carthage, just released in November).
- List #3: 100 Most Borrowed Books Of 2007 Our fixation with listing continues, this time with Auckland City...
- List #4: The Top Movies Of 2007 The lists go on — our continuing mission, to seek...
- List #2: Top Ten Book & Manuscript Sales Of 2007 Try not to salivate as we share with you a...
- List #5: Google's 2007 What's Hot, What's Not If you happen to operate a rather popular search engine...