If you happen to operate a rather popular search engine — the sort of place where kazillions of people stop by every day, say — you could get a pretty good feeling for what’s hot (and what’s not) by noting what people are looking for and tracking how that changes from day to day and from week to week. You could if you’re Google, for example.
Google does indeed capture such info, and reports on it regularly through its Zeitgeist pages. We’ll let you explore those pages for yourself, but we thought we’d take a few electrons of your time to share with you Google’s report on 2007 — those search enquiries that rose in popularity the most during the year (and those that dropped like a stone).
First, the losers (or, as Google more delicately describes them, the “fastest falling” queries from around the world:
1. world cup*
*Oh, how the mighty have fallen! Those marked with an asterisk appeared amongst the Fastest Risers in 2006.
And the hottest of the hot in 2007? Stand well back or prepare to be scorched by:
10. club penguin
8. second life
- List #4: The Top Movies Of 2007 The lists go on — our continuing mission, to seek...
- List #6: 2007's Most Popular Out-Of-Print Books According to Anirvan Chatterjee, founder of book search engine BookFinder.com,...
- List #2: Top Ten Book & Manuscript Sales Of 2007 Try not to salivate as we share with you a...
- What's Hot This Week On Trade Me Amongst the week’s hot offerings on Trade Me: a classic...
- List #3: 100 Most Borrowed Books Of 2007 Our fixation with listing continues, this time with Auckland City...